Wednesday, February 4, 2009

As I was having my excessively milky tea in the college canteen and thinking about ravi varma paintings I was about to show in my class a tall figure approached me. I recognized him as one of the irregular but talented students of masters first year painting. I had been seeing his works in the studio, where apparently I take my class. So when he asked me to see his sketch book I was more than happy to oblige. There unfolded page by page in front of my eyes the surrealistic looking drawings but with a very Indian feel. As he explained the manner in which he approaches his works I was getting more and more interested in the lyrical forms he had culled from what seemed like arbitrary doodles. He informed me that finally he has started work on a huge canvas 10 by 5 feet and the first stage had been completed. The canvas was spread on the studio balcony as it could not be accommodated in the interiors. Since we had some ten minutes more to go for the class we rushed to the balcony. There sprawled on the ground I found this huge canvas painted almost like Pollock with the difference that instead of lines he had used various bold curves. He guessed what I was thinking and said this is just the first stage. He will make a figurative work out of it and then it will cease looking like Pollock.

No comments:

Post a Comment